DOT Truck Driver
Position: DOT Truck Driver
Reports To: Superintendent, Dispatcher
General Summary of the Position:
Operation of commercial dump truck to haul stock in support of construction and materials operations. Work involves physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and movement of entire body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and materials handling.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.)
- Drives truck in excess of three (3) tons to transport and deliver asphalt, gravel, rock, and other construction materials among plants and work sites.
- Maintains radio or telephone contact with base or supervisor to receive instructions or be dispatched to new location.
- Maintains truck log according to state and federal regulations.
- Keeps record of materials and products transported.
- Positions blocks and ties rope around items to secure cargo for transport.
- Cleans, inspects, and performs minor service to vehicle. Reports maintenance needs to Master Mechanic on an ongoing basis.
- Assists in manual loading and unloading of truck.
- Constant contact with plant team members, dispatch, foreman, and supervisors.
- Check daily schedule for next day’s work and confirm work start time with supervisor and team members.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of regional geography, principles of transportation, and mechanics.
- Some clerical aptitude, sufficient to meet administrative and reporting duties.
- Knowledgeable of and familiar with requirements of the Federal Motor Safety Regulations and other state and federal regulations governing drivers of commercial motor vehicles. Aware of relevant city, state, federal, and company safety regulations and policies.
- Skilled ability to control operations of equipment or systems.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 3-5 years experience driving heavy trucks.
- Must pass the PPC Driver Selection Process as outlined in its current Safety Manual. Qualifications include valid Commercial Driver’s License, Medical Examiner’s Certificate, and Motor Vehicle Report.
Physical Work Activities & Exposure:
- Static Strength – Able to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Spatial Orientation – Able to know location in relation to environment and to know where other objects are in relation to self.
- Reaction Time – Ability to quickly respond with hand, finger, or food to signals, such as sound, light and pictures, when they appear.
- Response Orientation – Can choose quickly between two or more movements in response to two or more different signals, such as lights, sounds or pictures.
- Far Vision – Ability to see details at a distance.
- Extent Flexibility – Can bend, stretch, twist, or reach with body, arms, and/or legs.
- Oral Comprehension – Able to listen to and understand spoken information and ideas.
- Explosive Strength – Able to use short bursts of muscle force to propel self or to thrown object.
- Trunk Strength – Ability to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of body repeatedly or continuously over time without fatiguing.
- Depth Perception – Can judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from self, or to judge the distance between self and object.
- Must meet all medical qualifications of the Department of Transportation as defined in 49 CFR Part 391.41.
- Work is performed outside in a variety of weather conditions, primarily during hot and humid summer months.
Apply For This Position
Please download the employment application print it out and mail it to:
Palmer Paving Corporation
Palmer MA 01069
Fax with cover letter or cover page
Attn: Human Resources